Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

Monday, May 19, 2014

A Word I Try Not to Use!

hikingthechannelstwenty

"Hurry it up!"

Those are words I cringe at hearing and even saying.  I can NOT stand the word hurry.  I find myself sometimes using the word hurry, and honestly, when I do I pray to the Lord (sometimes silently, but nevertheless, I pray), asking Him to help me maintain my time more wisely.  A lot of the time I don't feel that the Lord is rushing me, and I feel that being rushed is sometimes the world's way of making us distracted from what is really important.

This life is rushed!  With technology it seems to sadly be becoming even more fast paced.  For example, a letter (or mail) used to sometimes take days to be delivered, and now we can just log onto the internet and it can be delivered (via e-mail) almost instantly.  Don't get me wrong, sometimes technology may be a good thing, but sometimes it can be not such a good thing as well.  It seems that as I get older (and I'm not that old, I am only in my 30's) the more I realize how fast paced the world really is.  Technology isn't the only way the world has become fast paced though.  Sometimes our schedules may become so filled up we feel like we have to literally run to get everything done.  The more fast paced the world is becoming the more I find impatient people dwelling here, and I WAS one of them.  The Bible tells us to be patient and longsuffering, if we are in a hurry, how can we be patient?

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; -Colossians 3:12 (KJV)

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience -Colossians 3:12 (ESV)


If I'm being honest, and I am, I sometimes am the one who gets behind the slow driver on the road.  Yes, I'm still doing the speed limit, but sometimes there is that person who is in the car in front of me who is just barely moving, and I am in a hurry to be somewhere.  These are the times I think of how I would like to be able to be like that person, no not be that person, but be able to be slower like them.

If I'm being honest, and I am, I sometimes am the one who rushes her kids out the door on a school/work morning.  I sometimes find myself telling them to "hurry it up, and get in the car so we won't be late."  Then, to be honest, I regret those words.  Yes, I had good intentions, I don't want any of us to be late to work/school, but I rushed my kids out the door.

You may be thinking so what is the big issue of rushing your kids out the door, but it is an issue, if/when it is done.  Let me explain.  It's not just rushing the kids out the door, but the pattern that goes with it, and the result of it.  Everything, Okay, maybe not everything, but a lot of things seem like seemed like had the words "hurry it up," to go along with what we were doing.   I then started thinking of if our schedule is really that busy, then it was hard for us to stay focused on what mattered most and keep our priorities in line.  If we were in a hurry, how were we being patient, and how were we able to stay focused on what mattered most.  Maybe life should still be busy, but not too busy.  I shouldn't rush my kids through life, I shouldn't rush through life, God has given us this gift of life, and if I'm rushing them out the door to school, or if we're always rushing in what we're doing, we are unable to really take the time to enjoy the time God gives us to enjoy.

Life had developed the pattern of rush, rush, rush for us.  Not anymore!  I've made it to where, if it takes me two minutes or two hours, instead of two seconds to get what needs to be done finished, then I will do it at a realistic pace, and I will get it done in the time that God has allowed me to get it done in.  The word, hurry, used to be a regular word used in my vocabulary, but I have tried my best to eliminate that word.  I do NOT want to rush through what I am doing, because every single thing that we do is a part of our lives, so why do we want to rush through life?  I know I certainly do not want to rush.  My kids' school years is a part of their childhood and a part of their lives, and I don't want them to rush through it, and I don't want to rush through it, and that even means I don't want to rush them out the door to the car on school mornings!  I will take the time to stop, breathe, and enjoy life.  I will not rush my kids out the door to school, I will not rush them through life, and I will not rush life for our family.  Yes, sometimes I still find myself using the "h word" ("hurry it up"), but when I do, I find myself asking God to help me not to rush and to help me manage my time wisely.  My goal is to completely eliminate that word from my vocabulary, when it comes to everyday tasks and routines, I don't want to rush, I don't want to be in a "hurry" through life!  I find myself praying to the Lord to help me not to rush and not to rush my family, but to enjoy this time, that He has so generously given us.  Life is too short on this Earth, why would I want to rush anything?  I don't want to be in a constant hurry, I want to manage my time wisely, follow the Lord's lead, and enjoy life with my family!

This verse helps me to remember to manage my time wisely.

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven -Ecclesiastes 3:1 (KJV)

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven -Ecclesiastes 3:1 (ESV)

0 comments:

Post a Comment